APPROPRIATIONS:
House panel plumbs FWS species, lands budget
E&E Daily:
Advertisement
A top House appropriator says he's concerned with the Fish and Wildlife Service's plan to double funding for land acquisitions while at the same time eliminating funding that assists counties with large tracts of nontaxable federal lands.
Idaho Rep. Mike Simpson (R), chairman of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies Appropriations Subcommittee, said yesterday the Interior Department's proposal to zero out discretionary funding to the National Wildlife Refuge Fund while fully funding a program known as "payments in lieu of taxes" -- each of which compensate counties for property taxes lost from federal lands -- seems "contradictory and unacceptable."
But the agency in its fiscal 2013 budget request said discretionary spending on its refuge fund does not significantly help to achieve conservation goals since it can be used by counties for any purpose.
During a hearing yesterday, Simpson and other members of the panel debated the agency's $1.55 billion budget for fiscal 2013, which includes a $200 million reduction in coastal assistance, but $72 million in program increases over current funding levels. The budget includes $107 million for the Land and Water Conservation Fund, the government's main account for land acquisitions, a proposal that has seen heavy resistance among House Republicans.
In contrast, senators on both sides of the aisle expressed support for the Obama acquisition fund at a hearing Wednesday in the Senate Appropriations Committee (E&E Daily, March 1).
FWS Director Dan Ashe said the budget focuses on large-scale conservation efforts through public-private partnerships and locally supported conservation efforts.
He defended proposals to increase funding by $4 million to support energy development, including $1.5 million for endangered species consultation associated with renewable energy projects.
The budget also includes $180 million to administer the Endangered Species Act, a $4 million increase over current levels. It includes an increase of $1.6 million to address a backlog of listing determinations for candidate species designed to help the agency meet the terms of a sweeping settlement it reached last year with environmental groups that will require hundreds of final listing determinations over the next five years.
Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.), the panel's ranking member, said he is pleased to see the proposed increases in listing and consultation funding, but would like to see more resources for species recovery.
"We in the House had our differences on endangered species funding last year," he said. "I hope we avoid that this year."
Members also discussed the threat of invasive species including the kangaroo rat, Burmese python and Asian carp as well as the agency's evolving plan to cull barred owls in the Pacific Northwest, where they are out-competing their smaller, federally threatened cousins, the northern spotted owl.
The agency's budget includes a nearly $3 million increase over current funding for prevention and control of Asian carp, which have out-foraged native fish and raised fears that they could decimate Great Lakes fisheries if they find their way into the system.
Simpson said he is particularly concerned with the threat quagga and zebra mussels pose for water infrastructure in Idaho.
Congress last year provided $1 million for mandatory inspections and decontaminations at infested federally managed water bodies, much of which would focus on preventing boats in Lake Mead from spreading the species into Idaho and other Western states, Simpson said.
"I'm also concerned that when I meet with stakeholders who do invasive species work on the ground, they complain that very little of the money that is appropriated for these purposes actually gets on the ground," he said. "I recognize that this is not necessarily a Fish and Wildlife Service issue. I'm talking about invasive species funding across the board, much of which is in the Department of Interior or USDA."
Simpson said he was also concerned with the agency's proposal to reduce spending on fish hatcheries by $3.2 million by seeking reimbursement from other federal agencies. The problem, Simpson said, is that other federal agencies have not requested enough funding to fully offset the FWS's proposed cut.
The FWS hatcheries produce fish to offset population losses from dams and other water infrastructure operated by other federal agencies.
"I understand where you're trying to go with this and I support it," Simpson said. "But until your proposed cuts are fully offset with increases in other agency budgets, you've created a problem that this subcommittee will have to fix once again."
Simpson said he does not believe it was Ashe's decision to cut $200 million in unobligated funds from the Coastal Impact Assistance Program, which is used to help coastal states mitigate the effects of offshore oil and gas drilling. The proposal -- which drew fire from Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) and other senators this week (E&ENews PM, Feb. 29) -- was likely initiated by the White House.
"I will spare you the inquisition and simply lament that this is a prime example of why [the Office of Management and Budget] should be testifying before this subcommittee," Simpson said.