23. HIGH-SPEED RAIL:
States line up for rejected Fla. funds
Published:
California and other states are doing everything in their power to snag federal high-speed rail funds Florida's governor said he does not want.
The competition is about to get even fiercer following Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood's announcement Friday that states may apply for the $2.4 billion in high-speed rail money turned down by Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R).
California, which previously received $624 million declined by the Republican governors of Ohio and Wisconsin, is believed to be a front-runner for receiving the money. The state's proposed line would run from Los Angeles to San Francisco and would cost at least $43 billion.
This could be the last chance for states to snatch up high-speed rail money. Such funds have been targeted by House Republicans for budget cuts.
Florida, however, may still be in the running, despite the governor's rejection of the funds.
Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) said a transit authority composed of officials from cities along the route from Tampa to Orlando would compete.
"Florida's chances are alive," Nelson said.
Applications for the money are due April 4 (Richard Simon, Los Angeles Times, March 12). -- PK