26. WATER POLLUTION:
Calif. opens probe of pilot in Bay Bridge tanker wreck
Published:
A California state agency is conducting a probe into the conduct of the ship pilot who was in charge of the empty oil tanker that ran into the San Francisco Bay Bridge last week.
The investigation by the California Board of Pilot Commissioners is expected to take 90 days. Another investigation into the matter, conducted by the Coast Guard with assistance from the National Transportation Safety Board, is expected to take longer.
The Overseas Reymar hit the western-span tower of the bridge nearest to Yerba Buena Island on Jan. 7. The incident caused more than $2 million in damages. No oil was spilled, and no one was injured.
"The investigators will look at all the information, compile a report and make a recommendation for action," pilot board spokeswoman Traci Ruth said at the commissioners' regular meeting yesterday.
That suggestion ranged from no action to suspension or revocation of Captain Guy Kleess' license, Ruth said (Kevin Fagan, San Francisco Chronicle, Jan. 18). -- JE