GULF OF MEXICO:
Groups sue over oil wells said to be leaking since 2004
E&ENews PM:
Advertisement
Environmental groups today filed suit against Taylor Energy Co. over Gulf of Mexico oil wells that have been leaking since 2004.
The Waterkeeper Alliance joined Gulf Coast organizations in suing Taylor in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, citing the citizen suit provisions of the Clean Water Act and the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
Under the Clean Water Act alone, the company could be subject to penalties of up to $37,500 a day, the groups claim. As much as 4,000 gallons of oil has leaked, they say, a tiny amount compared with the estimated 206 million gallons that is thought to have leaked as a result of the April 2010 explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig.
The leaks, thought to have been caused by Hurricane Ivan in 2004, were spotted in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon disaster (Greenwire, Feb. 14, 2011).
Although Taylor has made efforts since then to resolve the problem, the environmental groups say it should be done more quickly. The federal government has not undertaken any formal enforcement action against Taylor, they add.
The company "continuously violates both statutes by allowing one or more wells to discharge oil in to the Gulf of Mexico without a permit," the lawsuit says.
The environmental groups felt the need to intervene because of "Taylor's slow pace in stopping the flow of oil," the complaint alleges.
Justin Bloom, Waterkeeper's eastern regional director, said in a statement that the spill is "emblematic of a broken system, where oil production is prioritized over concerns for human health and the environment."
Taylor Energy's attorney did not immediately respond to a request seeking comment.
Click here to read the lawsuit.