NUCLEAR ENERGY:
U.S. approval 'imminent' for first reactor since 1978 -- NEI
E&ENews PM:
Advertisement
Federal approval of the first new U.S. nuclear reactor in more than three decades is "imminent," a top nuclear industry official said this week.
At issue is Atlanta-based Southern Co.'s application for two combined licenses to build the $14 billion Vogtle Units 3 and 4 near Waynesboro, Ga. Southern is also seeking a limited work authorization to conduct pre-construction activities at the Vogtle site.
Marvin Fertel, president and CEO of the Nuclear Energy Institute, said the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has already voted on the matter and only needs an "affirmation session" to issue the license. If approved, the plant would be the first built in the United States since 1978.
Approval of Southern's application hinged on NRC's approval last month of the latest version of Westinghouse Electric Co.'s light-water Advanced Passive 1000 reactor design (Greenwire, Dec. 22, 2011).
Fertel said he also expects NRC to soon approve South Carolina Electric & Gas Co.'s application for a license to build and operate two reactors at the V.C. Summer station near Columbia, S.C.
The industry, he said, would likely build four new U.S. plants in the next decade. That is less than the eight that the industry had previously expected, he said, attributing the change to a weak economy and cheap natural gas. The tsunami and earthquake that slammed a nuclear plant in Japan last March have also played a role.
Although the nuclear industry was halted in Germany and Italy in the wake of Japan disaster, Fertel said China, India, Europe and the Middle East are still moving forward with new reactor development.
NEI is now working with the Energy Department, the White House and Congress to allow the U.S. industry to sell nuclear equipment into the $500-billion-plus global industry.
The industry is also preparing for the release of a presidential panel's final report on what the country should do with nuclear waste from 104 operating U.S. plants. President Obama established a Blue Ribbon Commission to find waste solutions after abandoning the proposed dump at Yucca Mountain, Nev., last year.
Fertel said he was pleased to hear that Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.), who leads the House Environment and Economy Subcommittee, will hold a hearing on the final report, which is expected to be released at the end of this month.
The report is expected to align with proposals the commission made last summer, calling for the creation of an independent corporation to site, build and operate -- all with public support -- one or more interim storage facilities and deep geologic disposal facilities.
NEI is pushing House Republicans, including House Energy and Commerce Chairman Fred Upton of Michigan, not to dismiss the report just because it does not address Yucca Mountain.