6. GULF SPILL:
Federal investigators back on witness list for hearing on spill report
Published:
House Republicans and the Obama administration have reached an agreement that will allow lawmakers to grill the Interior Department and U.S. Coast Guard officials who headed up the broad federal probe into last summer's oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
But the House Natural Resources Committee hearing, which was originally scheduled for last month, will be postponed again until next week.
"This hearing provides an opportunity to hear directly from the investigators about their on-the-ground work and findings," Chairman Doc Hastings (R-Wash.) said today in a statement. "Just as the committee heard from the co-chairs of the president's own spill commission, it's important that we also hear from the co-chairs of the official [Joint Investigative Team] investigative report in order to get the full facts of what occurred."
The agreement brings an end to weeks of uncertainty about the hearing. The meeting, which was originally scheduled for Sept. 23, was abruptly postponed when the lead investigators decided not to testify, Hastings said.
The Obama administration offered its top Interior and Coast Guard officials to testify about the investigation at the rescheduled hearing this week. But Republicans on the committee insisted they wanted to hear from Coast Guard Capt. Hung Nguyen and David Dykes formerly of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement, the officials on the front lines of the investigation. Dykes left Interior for Chevron Corp. before the report was released.
"After the Interior Department and the Coast Guard withdrew JIT investigator witnesses previously committed to testify before the Committee on September 23rd, I clearly stated the expectation that the Committee would hear from the two JIT co-chairs selected and appointed by the respective agencies for this important investigation," Hastings said. "After direct communication by the Committee, the attendance has been confirmed for both co-chairs to testify on October 13th."
Michael Bromwich, who has led BOEMRE since last summer and took the reins this week at the newly formed Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, will also testify, a committee aide said.
A 212-page report from the BOEMRE and Coast Guard team about their investigation blamed much of the 2010 oil spill disaster on poor management decisions by BP PLC. The report also makes a series of regulatory recommendations to improve the safety of offshore drilling.
The report's findings do not stray far from those of other investigations into the disaster, but the new report places the blame more squarely on BP's shoulders.
"As a prudent operator, BP should have complete control of operations and issues surrounding operations on its lease," the report says. "BP's failure to have full supervision and accountability over the activities associated with the Deepwater Horizon was a contributing cause of the Macondo blowout."