The risk of infants in Europe being exposed to cereulide in formula is now low following widespread recalls earlier this month, the European Food Safety Authority and European Centre for Disease Control concluded in a joint rapid outbreak assessment published Thursday.
Thanks to “large-scale control measures implemented in the EU,” the agencies said in a press release, “the likelihood of exposure to contaminated products has decreased and is considered low.”
While risk of encountering the toxin is low, the impact of exposure to cereulide is “low to moderate,” depending on the age of the baby, the assessment said.
Seven countries in Europe — Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Spain and the United Kingdom — have reported gastrointestinal issues in infants who had consumed formula. However, investigations are still ongoing to establish whether these cases are linked to the formula products. The agencies cautioned that linking common symptoms to the toxin “can be challenging.”