Nation’s largest port anticipates trade decline next year

By Alex Nieves | 02/18/2026 12:49 PM EST

The Port of Los Angeles’ executive director said the prediction comes after an unusually busy 2025 in response to President Donald Trump’s tariff policy.

Shipping containers sit stacked at the Evergreen terminal at the port of Los Angeles.

The Port of Los Angeles reported a 13 percent decline in January imports compared to 2025. Damian Dovarganes/AP

The Port of Los Angeles is likely to see decreased goods movement in 2026 as the Trump administration’s tariff policy continues to affect global markets, its executive director said Tuesday.

What happened: Port of Los Angeles Executive Director Gene Seroka said during a media briefing that the nation’s busiest port handled 421,000 imported containers in January, a 13 percent decline compared to the same period last year. He pinned the decrease on an early cargo surge in 2025, as businesses rushed to secure inventory ahead of Trump taking office and instituting new tariffs.

The port also handled 104,000 outbound containers, an 8 percent year-over-year drop and the lowest monthly output in almost three years.

Advertisement

“This reinforces why trade policy is so important,” Seroka said. “American farmers and manufacturers need to remain competitive in global markets. They simply can’t afford to lose more ground.”

GET FULL ACCESS